Gujarat College Old Boys’ Association
Late Udayanbhai Baronet President Gujarat Old Boys Association
Annual Day celebrations of 1927 were grandeur and the celebration was followed by a meeting to establish alumni association. Gujarat College Old Boys’ Association was established on 06-FEB-1927 under the stewardship of the then Principal, George Findley Shiraz. Since then, the alumni of the Alma Matter have been meeting occasionally. The association played very active role in the golden Jubilee celebration of the college in the august presence of Dr S. Radhakrishna in 1938. The most eminent personalities like Prof Anandshankar Dhruv (President, 1941) have remained involved with the association.
A galaxy of bright students and faculties of this college has achieved laurels in walks of life. Their immense contribution in special field has added colorful feathers to the glory of this institution. The Gujarat College is proud of the innumerable personalities, some of which are listed below.
LEADERSHIP AND PUBLIC LIFE
- Shri Ganesh Vashudev Mavlankar, Noted parliamentarian and first Speaker to the Indian Parliament, 1948
- Shri Purushottom Ganesh Mavlankar, Noted advocate and parliamentarian
- Sahid Veer Vinod Kinariwala, the first student martyr of Quite India Movement.
- Shri Balvantrai Mehta, Political Leader and former Chief Minister of Gujarat
- Shri Bhanuprasad Pandya, Former Education Minister
- Shri Prabodh Raval, Political Leader and former Education / Home Minister
- Smt. Kokilaben Hariprasad Vyas, Political Leader and former Health Minister
- Shri Bharat Barot, Political Leader and former Education Minister
- Rafyuddin Sheikh, Mayor of Ahmedabad city
- Shantilal H Shah, Political Leader and former Education Minister in Maharashtra
- Lady Vidhyagauri, First Hindu woman to graduate from Mumbai University , President of All India Women Council (1932), worked for girl education, widow marriage and elimination of dowry system.
- Vinodini Neelkanth, noted writer, went for higher studies in sociology to USA (1928)
- Shri Rohit Maheta, Internationally acclaimed philosopher, writer and thinker
- Dr. Anandshankar B Dhruv, Renowned scholar, Academician, Vice Chancellor of Banaras Hindu University
- Shri Ranjitram Mehta, well known Scholar, Founder of Gujarat Vidhyasabha
- Shri Umashankar Joshi, Poet, Writer and Vice-chancellor of Gujarat University and Chancellor of Shantiniketan, decorated with Gyanpith Award
- Prof. Firoz K. Davar, Academician, Scholar. Philosopher and Writer
- Shri Kanchanlal C. Parikh, Registrar and Pro Vice-chancellor, Gujarat University
- Shri K. S. Shastri Former Vice-chancellor of Gujarat University
- Sharda Sumant Mehta, Bombay University Senater (1929), First woman graduate from Mumbai University, Vice-chancellor of Hindu Mahila University.
- Shri Yashvant Shukla, Academician and noted writer
- Sir Harshiddh Divetia, Former Justice
- Justice Shri J. M. Shelat, Former Chief Justice, Gujarat High Court
- Tarlok Singh, ICS, Scholar, Academician, Economist and member of Planning Commission of India
- Shri N. D. Buch, ICS (1932), Former Secretary Education
- Kavishri Nahnalal Dalpatram, Studied (1900), Faculty at Rajkumar College, Famous Gujarati poet
- Prof. Vishnuprasad Trivedi, Chairman Sahitya Parishad, Scholar, Writer and critic
- Shri Shaikhadam Abuwala, noted Poet, German and Urdu scholar
- Anantrai Raval, Faculty and well known critic in Gujarati
- Keshav Dhruv, Faculty and well known critic in Gujarati
- Jayanti Dalal, Gujarati writer
- Dr. Vikram Sarabhai, Great Physicist, instrumental in setting up Physical Research Laboratory, ATIRA and Space Application Centre (SAC) in Ahmedabad
- Dr Nautamlal B. Bhatt, Physicist, Founder director of Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) of India .
- Dr. J. N. Desai, Internationally acclaimed Physicist
- Dr. R. V. Mehta, Physicist
- Rasvihari Desai, Former faculty and noted singer and music director
- Jashwant Thakkar, Noted drama artist of Gujarat
- Vandana Pathak, noted Actor
- Niraj Pathak, Film Director and Script Writer
- Shri Kasturbhai Lalbhai, Noted industrialist of India
- Sardar Sir Chinubhai Baronet, ICE, Our patron, mill owner, known for charity for promotion of education
- Suhrid Ambalal Sarabhai, industrialist
- Kirtida Patel, International Hockey player of India 1945-46
- Veena Shah, International Hockey player of India 1945-46
- Jashu Patel, Padmashri, off-spinner of India, made 9 and 5 wickets haul wining at Kanpur test against Australia
- Nari Contractor, Former Captain of Indian cricket team
- Dipak Sodhan, made test century at debut against Pakistan in 1962
- Udayan Chinubhai, Our patron, National Shooting Champion, Youngest ever to make debut at Ranji Trophy, winner of Arjun Award and Presidential medal for Civil Defense
- Mukund Parmar, International Cricket player of India , Captain Gujarat Ranji Trophy, highest run aggregator in first class cricket
- Dr Arun Naik, Captain of Ranji Trophy for years, Played Irani and Dulip Trophies, Scored highest bating average against East Africa, WC at Board President’s Eleven against Pakistan in 1962
Prof. C. N. Patel, Shri Hariprasad Vyas, Ravindra Thakore, Narottam Valand, Labhshankar Thaker, Irshad Mirzabeig, Chandrakant Sheth, Yogendra Vyas, Zaffar Hussen Laliwala, Narhari Parikh, Rafyuddin Sheikh, and numerous shining personalities.
At Present there is no content available for this page, once content will be available would be updated