History of Gujarat College
The crest approved by the Government is in red and gold which form the college colors. The shield is one of the oldest and plainest types. There is crown in the chief which is one of the honorable ordinaries in heraldry. Under the gold chevron which is a simple decoration there is the head of a sambur distinctive of Gujarat. The motto is “Swift to Learn”
-Gujarat College Magazine Serial 32 (September 1931).
The present form of the crest is the result of much labor and a long drown out correspondence. The shield which serves as the background is one of the oldest and simplest in heraldry. The crest is done in prominent colors, red and gold which are the proper college colors. Crown in the gold chief at the top of the shield indicates that the college is a Government institution. The crown symbolizing colonial rule was replaced post- independence, by a lighted lamp that signifies knowledge. The chevron in the gold is an ancient heraldic decoration and stands here for the imposing front of the main college building with its gabled roof. It may well be appreciated with the rising glory of the college. The sambur whose head is inscribed under chevron is distinctive of Gujarat and is known for its speed and agility. It is therefore, in keeping with the motto of the College, ‘Swift to Learn’. The crest bears the seal of Government approval.
The Gujarat College crest will be synonymous with the highest achievement, both academic honors and sports.
Details of donations and patronage received by the institute since its inception can be found at Our Patron
The institute started in 1860 and was known as Gujarat Provintial College to teach subjects of Mathematics, Philosophy, Fine-arts and Law in association with the Govt. High School.
The college restarted in 1879 managed by the Gujarat College Committee, functioning under the leadership of Sheth Ranchhodlal Chhotalal as Hon. Secretary. During 1884 to 1887, Government took over the administration of the college by appointing district staff. The management was handed over to Society for Promotion of Higher Education in Gujarat in 1887 and was again taken over by the State Government in 1912. The institute is presently managed by the Commissioner of Higher Education under the State Department of Education.
Initially the college was functioning in a High School building and was shifted to function in a bungalow on Mirzapur Road (presently the place is ‘Shanti Sadan’ of Sheth Ambalal Sarabhai) till 1897. First ever college building (Presently the Main Building) was made in the year 1897, which followed more buildings appearing on the land using the generous flow of donations by Sir Chinubhai Madhavalal, Bert, ICE. The engineering skills for constructing the buildings was extended by Rav Bahadur Himmatlal Dhirajram Bhachech, President, Ahmedabad Municipality. The next buildings that came up were M. R. Science Institute inaugurated by Lord George Sydenham Clarke (1912), New Science Building (1948), Tutorial Building (1965), and Science Workshop (1965)
The college started with its first ever affiliation from Mumbai University granted in March 1879 for First Year, an 1`d in 1884 up to Final B.A. degree course. Gujarat University, Ahmedabad granted its first ever affiliation to Gujarat College in 1948. Permanent affiliation granted by Gujarat University in the subjects Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (15-JUN-1961), and Microbiology and Electronics (15-JUN-1982). Affiliation for the Commerce faculty was granted by Gujarat University in 1981-‘82.
Law college was separated from the Gujarat College in 1928. Bifurcation of Gujarat Commerce College took place through Dept. of Education GR No. PRCh-1191-306-75-91-Kh dated 11-JUN-1993
The college conducted pre-medical classes in 1971-72. The college supported to cope-up the unprecedented demand by conducting Higher Secondary (Std XII) unit for Science stream in Jun 1988 and continued till the adequate number of schools started (Jun 1993)
The college is recognized under section 2 (f) and 12 (b) of the UGC Act 1956 and is entitled to receive grants from Governments and its funding agencies including the University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
Sir Chinubhai Madhavalal Baronet, ICE. Donated Rs. 1,50,000 for King George V Hall and Sydenham Library in 1897. The King Emperor George V Hall was opened up ceremoniously in the presence of Lord Geroge Sydenham Clarke in 1917. The hall was rechristened to 'Gandhi Hall' at the inaugural function of Gandhiji’s Statue in the Hall in 1970.
The hall is proud to have housed the First Convocation Ceremony of Gujarat University in 1952 and Swearing-in Ceremony of the First-ever Council of Ministers of the State of Gujarat in Gandhi Hall. Subsequently, the Nehru Hall was constructed and the work completed in 1963.
Veer Vinod Kinariwala Memorial
The college is proud of our student Shahid Veer Vinod Kinariwala born on 20-SEP-1924. Veer Kinariwala braced the martyrdom on 10-AUG-1942 inside the college campus and became the first student martyr of India over 'Quit India Movement'. Proud memorial erected inside the campus, speaks about the brave son of the institute. Lok Nayak Shri Jayprakash Narayan inaugurated the memorial in 1947. The road facing the memorial site named as "Shahid Veer Kinariwala Marg' reminds every one of the stoty of great sacrifice by the young man.
The college remained a centre stage bustling with activities during freedom movement of India. Mahatma Gandhi, Sardar Patel, Subhash Chandra Bose, Acharya Kriplani, Mahadevbhai Desai and many more national leaders had guided the student movement within the college campus. Special events to mention are:
(1) Veer Vinod Kinariwala Shahadat in 1942.
(2) Special events like Bell ringing, March past, Flag hoisting and Plantation on midnight of 14-AUG 1947.
(3) Civil Disobedience movement of 1921 lead 100 students and professors to leave the college. Many of them took up to Gujarat Vidhyapith to furhter their nationalistic dreams.
(4) Hundreds of volunteers became the work force at National Congress Meet of 1921 in Ahmedabad.
(5) The country’s first and strong political strike was initiated by the students of the Gujarat College in 1928 demanding to sending back the Simon Comission.